Wednesday, August 4, 2010

10958 Days

Yep. Today is my birthday. 10958 days. 1560 weeks. 360 months. 30 years. It seems really weird to be able to actually say that I am thirty. It seems so, well, old. Not like liver spots and laugh lines old, but it is still much older than I feel on the inside. My grandmother used to tell me that she would catch a glimpse of her 70 year old self in the mirror and be surprised by the reflection because she didn't feel like an old woman. I can totally relate. I don't feel like an adult even though I can look around and see all kinds of evidence of adulthood. Maybe that just means that I have a young spirit.

I have done a lot of random and kind of interesting things over the last 30 years - including, but not limited to, the following:

In no particular order...
  • Taught myself to juggle
  • Had three adorable children
  • Learned to knit
  • Graduated with a BFA in illustration
  • Joined the Army
  • Learned just enough Arabic to forget it all
  • Eaten Ethiopian food
  • Lived in NY, NC, AL, OK, and CA
  • Graduated summa cum laud from high school
  • Visited France (twice), Switzerland, Italy, and Monaco
  • Got married (quite happily, I might add)
  • Played the role of a star in the school Christmas play (I wasn't The Star in a play, I was a Star - the five pointed kind)
  • Watched all 7 seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer - in order
  • Seen multiple shows on Broadway
  • Visited Washington DC, Chicago, San Francisco, Honolulu, New Orleans, and countless other cities - even Pensacola
  • Watched countless hours of Dora the Explorer
  • Learned to love sushi
  • Waited tables/Bartended
  • Changed at least 20,000 diapers
  • Been an Art teacher
  • Done a back handspring (on a trampoline)
  • Taught gymnastics and cheerleading
  • Created websites from scratch
  • Managed a miniature golf place
  • Run 2 miles in 16 minutes
  • Tap danced on a stage in front of people
I have spent these years in so many different roles and with so many labels: Shannon the smart kid, Shannon the daughter, Shannon the sister, Shannon the theater geek, SPC Woodfin, Shannon the cheerleader, Mommy, Shannon the wife, Mrs. Woodfin, Shannon the artist. I am really interested to see the adventures that my 30's have in store for me because when it comes down to it, 30 isn't old at all.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a little jealous. :) haha I have yet to figure out juggling (and yo-yo's, seriously i suck at them) I have learned to tolerate sushi (ya know, the non-fish kind) :) I have run 2 miles in similar times when I was in High school.. and I have never tap danced in my life although I think it looks cool. :) haha
    Nice post! I never knew you were in the army? I don't know how that hasn't come up yet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't be jealous! There are still so many things that I want to do and see. I don't know how I can fit it all in to 80 or 90 years! Oh, and I'll tell you all about my little army adventure some time.

    ReplyDelete